Are Schwinn Bikes Good? – A Look at the Facts
Back in the days, Schwinn bikes were not only good for the road but also, were of high quality. It is no wonder that many of my peers had these bikes as we were growing up. They found it easy to find the bikes because they came at a good price and were available in most stores around our area. In that area, buying a Schwinn bike was seen as a big step in biking but as time went on, things started to change. Today, Schwinn bikes have lost their title as the king of mountain biking. This is evident as other new manufacturers come into the market with revolutionary bikes that boost of great performance and amazing features. That leaves us with the question - are Schwinn bikes good?
The answer to this question depends on your perspective. But if you are asking whether Schwinn bikes are as good as they used to be then, the answer is no. Similarly, you may be wondering whether Schwinn bikes are ideal for professional bikers with lots of miles to cover. Unfortunately, again, the answer is no. There are many other types of professional mountain bikes that can serve you better. However, if you are just a casual rider doing a few miles on the weekend, you will find Schwinn bikes to be just fine, they can serve you good for your casual riding need.
About Schwinn Bikes
1. A little history
Schwinn bikes have a long history. The bike brand was launched in 1950 and what made them stand out was the fact that they made bikes with their own brand name. Before then, bike companies used to make bikes for specific stores or users. In a short time, Americans recognized the brand thereby making it very popular. Unfortunately, the bikes were so large and heavy for serious cyclists and therefore, they had to contend with the few imported brands from Europe.
Their biggest breakthrough was in the 1960s when they introduced the popular stingray model that gained followers from all over the world. Further diversification into the world of road bikes made the company even more successful. In the 1970s, you could find each member of a family with a Schwinn bike.
If you are old enough, you will remember the times when Schwinn bikes ruled the market. The brand was synonymous with quality, durability and outstanding performance. However, since Pacific Cycles bought the company, things has changed. If you ask me, I would say that the bikes being made by Pacific Cycles are not as good as the old Schwinn bikes that we know. The company focuses more on mass production at the expense of quality and durability. In this model, the company aims at selling more affordable bikes of lower quality than bikes of high quality.
In 2001, Schwinn Bike Company was sold to Pacific Cycles. The new owner came up with two broad product categories including:
- Signature bike series. These are high quality bike models from Schwinn that compete with other high end brands such as DiamondBack, Trek, Giant and Specialized. They are generally considered as one of the best bikes available. Signature bikes are normally sold in limited high end sport stores
- Discount Series. Discount series are mass produced for the broader market. Although these bikes have the Schwinn logo on them, they are not at really high quality and come at an affordable price. Unfortunately, the discount bikes are not ideal for any serious off-road biking. If you are just a casual biker or beginner, this series is a good choice with suitable budget.
Buyers have to be very careful when buying high end signature bikes because there are some non-signature models that have signature sticker on their frame. As confusing as this may seem, it would be regretful to buy a bike thinking that it is high end only to discover later that it is fitted with lower quality parts. The trend only makes it harder for customers to tell whether they are buying a high end bike or not.
3. Where to buy
If you are looking for a serious signature model bike, it is advisable to get it either from an online store or a dedicated high end bike store near you. Most conventional stores normally sell the lower end discount models that cannot handle serious riding.
Are Schwinn Bikes Good?
To answer this question, we need to know the advantages and disadvantages of Schwinn bikes.
1. Advantages of Schwinn bikes
Schwinn bikes have many advantages that set them apart from other types of bikes in the market. These include:
- Smooth ride for all kind of cyclists. If you have ever ridden a Schwinn bike then, you know that they are one of the smoothest bikes on the road. Schwinn bikes are designed to ride smoothly both on a dirt road as well as on the track. Whether you are riding on a rural path or a paved road, you will note that the ride quality is above board.
- Ergonomic design. Schwinn bikes come with an ergonomic design that reduces fatigue for the cyclists. These bikes are designed to reduce stress on areas such as the neck, shoulder and most of the upper body.
- Reliable manufacturer. Schwinn Bike Company has been in business for the last one century. That is why it has built a good business name. As a result, customers are assured of getting reliable bikes from the company. In addition, the company also produces high quality bikes.
- Variety of models to choose from. No matter what your needs are when it comes to biking, Schwinn bike company has the right bikes for you. You can either choose a cruiser bike if you want to ride for fun or an urban bike to use for going to work. On the other hand, hybrid bikes are ideal for those who want to work out. In short, Schwinn bikes will cater to your every riding need.
- Warranty. One of the most attractive benefits of owning a Schwinn bike is that it comes with a lifetime warranty. If your bike develops a unique problem in the structure or individual components, Schwinn dealers will repair it for free. It only takes a few days to get back to riding.
2. Disadvantages of Schwinn bikes
- Inefficient frame. The frame installed on a Schwinn bike is not that great. It does not give enough room to pedal in an uphill path.
- Uncomfortable for long rides. A large number of Schwinn bike riders have complained that their bikes are uncomfortable for longer rides. This is attributable to the seat position and the handlebar height that forces bikers to bend their backs while riding the bike.
- Cheap accessories. Unlike other bikes of the same range, Schwinn bikes are fitted with cheaper saddle and wheels. This comes as a major disadvantage given the shorter life
- Heavy weight. One of the major disadvantages of Schwinn bikes is that they are too heavy. If you are looking to ride for a long distant, you are bound to get tired faster. The bikes are not suitable for long or sporty rides.
- High rolling resistance. Another disadvantage of the Schwinn bikes is that they come with wider tires that have a high rolling resistance. This makes it hard to ride the bike at high speed. As a result, many cyclists are not able to go for long distances with the bikes.
Best Schwinn Bikes Reviews
Schwinn is one of the most notable bike brands in the world. They produce different types of bikes that are all aimed at different segments in the market. Below, we will make a review of some of the products that they have based on their features and specs. The review will help you in making the right decisions when purchasing these bikes.
Best Schwinn mountain bike
Schwinn mountain bike has a long history for providing people with a good service. It is not rare to find someone hitting a biking trail with a mountain bike from Schwinn reasons being that the bikes are reliable, light weight and fun to ride. The Schwinn mountain bike comes with a full suspension frame and fork that makes the bike comfortable even on rough terrain. To make shifting easy, the bike is fitted with a SRAM rear derailleur that is reputable with quick gear changes even at high speed. And to stop the Schwinn mountain bike, there are large disc brakes both on the front and rear wheels. The mountain bike is also fitted with large 29” wheels that make the bike comfortable even when riding on rough and rocky terrain.
See other Schwinn mountain bikes? Click here!
Best Schwinn road bike
Schwinn road bikes are built for those with an eye for speed and ultimate performance. Luckily, Schwinn never disappointed in making the bike because they came up with a package that people would love a lot. The bike is fitted with a lightweight aluminum frame that makes the bike light for fast rides. This is important because it enables riders to do long journeys on the road. However, you should note that the bike is sturdy and thus gives stable motions on the road. Also, the bike is fitted with large road tires that make riding on the road smooth and comfortable. This is even when you are moving on rough terrain. The double walled rims ensure that the bike is both tough and light.
See other Schwinn road bikes? Click here!
Best Schwinn hybrid bike
Schwinn hybrid bike is one of the top selling products from the company owing to the fact that it offers great quality at a compact package. The bike comes with an aluminum city frame that is not only comfortable for all but also, strong and durable for long term use. With the Schwinn suspension fork, riders are able to move over obstacles with ease. This is because the fork makes their motion stable and smooth. And if you want to change speed on the bike, you’ll have an easy time since you have 21-speed SRAM gear shifters. They are smooth yet very accurate in changing gears. To stop the bike, you have promax linear pull brakes that stop the bike smoothly on the road. This makes it comfortable on the road.
See other Schwinn hybrid bikes? Click here!
Best Schwinn cruiser bike
The Schwinn cruiser bike comes in 2 versions: the ladies’ and the men’s bike. In this review however, we are going to focus on the ladies’ bike. The ladies cruiser bike comes with a reclined frame that makes it easy to mount and dismount the bike. This frame also offers the rider with a comfortable riding position that makes it easy to stay on the bike for long distances. You can shift fast and effectively on this bike as it comes with Schwinn rear derailleur and shifters. This is important for it enables you to move fast on the road. And to stop the cruiser, there is some V – shaped brakes that are effective in stopping the bike. And when tackling roads with a rough terrain, you have an easy time because it comes with a soft padded seat. This cushions you while moving down the road. Also, the fenders on the bike make it easy to ride in all types of weather.
See other Schwinn cruiser bikes? Click here!
Best Schwinn balance bike
Schwinn balance bike is designed for young riders who want to learn biking. It is a simple bike that comes with all the features that the young are looking for. Schwinn has made the bike with attractive specs to ensure that it meets the needs of young riders. Schwinn balance bike has a lightweight steel frame to make it easy for young riders to maneuver the bike. In addition, the bike comes with air tires and tubes to provide the comfortable for young bikers. The headset comes with ball bearings that make it easy for riders to steer the bike. This is important because young riders do not need to struggle while riding the balance bike. The good thing is that you can adjust the seat with ease.
See other Schwinn kid balance bikes? Click here!
Best Schwinn adult tricycle
Tricycles are very important for those who have big loads to carry. Schwinn has come up with a very good tricycle that enables adults to carry items from one place to another. The good thing with this bike is that it comes with great features. To begin with, the bike comes with a super low aluminum stand frame for easy access. This makes the rider to access the bike with ease. This applies even for shorter riders. To make the bike ideal for all kinds of weather, it is fitted with complete fenders that prevent mud from getting onto the bike. In addition, the bike comes with 24” alloy wheels. The bike comes with a cruiser seat that has easy adjustment. Therefore, it is very easy to adjust the seat even when you have several riders for the same bike. To carry loads on the bike, there is a fold down rear basket that carries goods with ease. The good thing is that the adult tricycle comes with an upright handlebar that is very easy to hold.
See other Schwinn Adult Tricycle? Click here!
To finally answer the question on ‘are Schwinn bikes good?’ let us get into conclusion. With many bike options available in the market, Schwinn bikes are not the best choice for a professional cyclist. However, if you just consider biking is an exercise or riding bicycle for fun, Schwinn bike is a very good choice. In addition, you can find discount Schwinn bikes are readily available in the shops at attractive prices. However, you should not expect the bike to last as long as other high quality brands.
After reading this article, we hope that you can decide if you should buy a Schwinn bike. If you have any idea, please share with us by leaving comments below. We are glad to get comments from you. Besides, please SHARE thist post other people.