Different Types of Bikes Explained
We can see long-term and short-term benefits of biking. From the very beginning till now, people use bikes as means of transportation. Many people use bikes for physical exercise, and losing weight, some ride as their hobby. It is safe and convenient to ride. Biking helps to decreases the risk of your heart disease, and reinforces the immune system. There are different types of bikes along with delicate versions designed to make the bicycle perform better in a specific discipline. Today much more choice and you’ll hear phrases like mountain, road, commute, sportive, race and even more describing bikes. In this post, we will help you decide which bike is right for you.
Types of Bikes
1. Mountain Bikes
Biking manufacturers design mountain bikes for riding tough off-street trails. They come with flat or even upright handlebars and an extremely low gear range intended for pedaling up steep tracks.
Most mountain bikes involve some shock absorbers or perhaps a suspension. People called mountain bikes with front side suspension simply are hard tails. These bikes with both front sides along with rear suspension are known as full-suspension bikes or dual lies. On the other hand, the ones without suspension are known as tight.
Cyclist often equip their mountain bikes for use as touring or even commuting bikes, even though they might not be as light or effective as traditional commuting or touring bikes. Most of mountain bikes will often have 26” or 29″ extensive knobby wheels which usually permit them to be ridden in loose dirt plus over obstacles. Some of the special features of mountain bikes are flat handlebar and tough frames and elements. Moreover, mountain bikes frequently have the suspension to assist any
cyclist in navigating stony mountain trails.
- Suitable for harsh off- street use.
- Easy to deal with.
- More erect positions, which a large number of mean more convenience and better capability to see the right path found in traffic.
- Big wheels, beefy tires and suspension choices indicate fantastic durability.
- Giving a rider the self-confidence.
- The price for a good mountain bikes is usually expensive.
2. Road Bikes
You can identify road bikes through their skinny tires as well as down-turned or “drop” handlebars. They are very famous
for their great performance and pace. The bigger thin tires make it glide along the street with tiny effort. The multi-position handlebar presents grasp variants from vertical to even more extreme. If you intend to make a trip on the pavement, specifically for longer rides, a road bicycle is the supreme choice. It is our great fortune to reside in a great region with a good amount of great roads concerning cycling.
manufacturer produces road bikes with characteristics to ride fast on flat pavement. They have soft, thin tires and "drop" handlebars, and can be utilized for on-street racing. The color of road bike is often lighter than other styles of bicycles. They could be ridden on paved trails; nevertheless, a lot of people see them uneasy and unstable upon unpaved trails. Many road bikes aren't with the capability of carrying heavy loads.
- Mild and fast.
- More suitable than other bikes.
- Faster than you ride.
- Light-weight just like aluminum but somewhat denser and better for fascinating vibration.
- More long lasting and a little stronger than aluminum offering a ride much like a steel body.
- Braking power isn't nearly as good, and traction is constantly at a high speed, specifically when riding in wet condition.
- Taking a long time and difficult to repair. In some cases, you need to deliver your bike to the manufacturer.
Want to choose a good road bike? Click here to see the road bike reviews!
3. Hybrid Bikes
Initially, manufacturers create hybrid bikes to supply the benefits of other both above types of bikes - road bikes plus mountain bikes. Their big, padding seats and upright handlebars give a cozy riding position. Hybrid bikes is also best for informal using around a nearby or perhaps bicycle paths, short- range commuting, and errands around the city. Cyclist can ride hybrid bikes on the paved roads, but they are not as lightweight or perhaps effective as street bikes. This type of bikes can suit well for paved or even unpaved bicycle trails, nonetheless, aren't befitting abrasive off-road mountain bicycle trails.
The tires are often a medium-width with a semi-smooth stand, to supply a fairly simple ride on pavement, yet enough grip and cushion on unpaved trails. Many hybrid bikes possess entrance suspension to erase small bumps while the others are fully rigid. People also utilize hybrid bikes as cross bikes. But today, they rarely use that term to avoid confusion with cyclocross bikes.
- Lightweight and quickly assembling.
- Supplying the ability to be utilized within the town and also in off-road circumstances
- More comfortable due to a flattened handlebar that may allow cyclist to an upright position.
- Supporting cyclists in order not to exert themselves and end up feeling fatigued actually after taking the bike out for an extended ride.
- Unsuitable for excessive riding. Those who are thinking about speeds must consider purchasing a road bike.
- Including improper for all circumstances. For that reason, people need to recognize that they can just be used in the condition that is moderate.
- Need to buy components with the bike. Many companies do not provide them.
4. Cruiser Bikes
A cruiser bike is considered as the oldest bike among others types of bikes. It provides a perfect ride to the newbie and professionals. You can use it for the beach, shopping, and general amble. It comes with a wide seat, wide tires and usually come with a single gear - that means they’re suitable for flat terrain. It includes upright handlebars which enable a perfect viewing position.
Cruiser bikes are just similar to hybrid bikes. They have been designed for informal riding along with upright riding position. They have a large and comfortable seat. Its balloon tires, handlebars, and structure are long-lasting. Most cruiser bikes come with single speed and some with three speeds or 7 speeds. You can also use this bike for short distance traveling plus errands. A wide range of colorful models is available in the marketplace to suit fashion flavors of any bike enthusiast.
- Affordable, functional and comfortable.
- Available in different sizes.
- Easy to ride.
- Durable frame.
- Colorful models are available.
- Not suitable for off-road condition or strong activities using.
- Three and seven-speed bikes are more costly
Want to choose a good cruiser bike? Click here!
5. Comfort Bikes
Comfort bikes tend to be a subordinate category of the cruiser bikes. The features of comfort bikes are similar to the hybrid bikes. Comfort bikes are perfect for shorter paved road rides. Its frames are slimmer than mountain bikes. It includes narrow tires and slightly raised handlebar for a relaxed upright position. This bike shows better performance on the flat road and usually used for commuting.
Comfort bikes are a bit more comfortable plus stable than street bikes but not so fast as them. It has no high gear range just like mountain bikes. Based on the producer and fashion of bike, the size of comfort bike is just like a mountain bike and road bike. It has an elongated frame design which pushes the pedals towards the seat. The seat is comparatively low so that you can control it very easily.
- Most affordable price.
- Lightweight and perfect for riding.
- Comfortable handlebar included.
- Durable frame.
- Used for leisure or even commuting.
- Not as strong as other performance types of bikes. Recommend on use on flat roads only.
6. Fixed-Gear Bikes
Fixed-Gear Bike -also called "Fixie"- is one kind of road bike with an individual gear, which you cannot do freewheel or coast. Because the cog is directly tied to the motion of the pedals, so when you pedal forward, the bike moves forward, and you pedal backward, the bike moves backward. True fixed bikes usually don’t have brakes. Therefore, the athlete must make use of their leg power to avoid the churns from turning, which in turn stops the movement of the bike. These bikes tend to be the outdoor version of your track bicycle. They may have individual, fixed equipment but may possess brakes and various styles of handlebars. It is one of popular bike among manly urban cyclist.
Cyclists often use them for the racers in training because they will force the sports person to spin the legs in a constant circle and run an increased cadence. Bikers also ride fixed-gear bikes in metropolitan areas or perhaps as foul climate bikes because of few moving components on a fixed gear. They are inexpensive and little may go wrong. Finally, a lot of individuals ride “fixies” for the best of most causes. You will get fun, in conjunction with a deep seated nostalgic link with the first years of cycling whenever all bikes had been fixed gears.
- Very lightweight with only twenty-three pounds.
- Simple structure and maintenance than any other complicated styles.
- More affordable price.
- Very efficient on wet condition as back braking mechanism response from the throttle supports better grasp on the highway.
- Do not have any chance or perhaps hardly any chance to rest due to lack of coastline ability in a long trip.
- Easy to get troublesome on turning at a higher pace as freewheel isn't supported through this bicycle for beginners.
- Losing control over the bicycle when the pedal to touch the bottom.
7. Folding Bikes
Folding Bikes are suitable for those who have to travel with their bicycle in the boat or perhaps a plane which other types of bikes cannot be carried along with, or who reside in small rentals and don’t have a lot of space for storage. They are also best for travelers who have to have their bicycle on a bus or train for a part of their commute. These bikes are also perfect for those who don't have a safe spot to park their bicycle at work.
The wheels are smaller than the other bike types. That makes
the bike just a little much less efficient and more difficult to handle than a common bicycle. But many folding bicycle enthusiasts feel the huge benefits offset the disadvantages.
- Compactable (most can match a good trunk without dependence on tools).
- Better acceleration because of smaller wheels.
- Ideal for multi-modal (of course not relevant to all or any folders) commuting.
- Easy to ride.
- Simple to use and assemble.
- Heavier when there are often knobs which add weight.
- Not as rigid as standard bikes.
- Generally more expensive than other types of bikes because of versatile design factors and manufacturer-specific parts.
8. Kids Bikes
Children are also fascinated approximately riding bikes. 90% of cases verify for this statement. Kids’ bikes are designed particularly for youth. Every part of this bike is scaled right down to be secure and appropriate for a kid. Although kids find riding a bike to become a lot of fun, it is necessary to remind them a bike is not a gadget. Bicycle is a vehicle that's fun when applied properly.
If your child is between 4 and 10 years old, they should get bikes with wheels of 10 or 20 inches. These bikes are miniature bikes. Aside from this, they provide supplementary safety if you feel of the plastic protection products with the chain. Moreover, these youngsters begin using the brake, which replaces the many feet stop. You may dismount the assisting wheels after about four months along with your child has to figure out how to maintain their harmony.
If your kid have just started to learn how to ride, and they are not ready for control the normal bike, a tricycle or the kid bike with training wheels are the good option for your choice.
- Suitable for kids exercising along with childhood problems such as growing trouble.
- Your kid will have the great joy time, may be extremely hard to get out on a bike.
- There is a mounting recognition regarding the positive influence of stationary exercise bike in primary school sessions. It may help various children focus on homework activities.
- Perfect for occasions when a child wants to trip their bicycle in case their parents are busy doing another thing and can’t go outside.
- Excellent for homes where there is secured to ride a bicycle outside.
- Allows children to model their parents work out sessions.
- Permits kids to pretend that to be among their very own cycling heroes cooling down or warming up, by the end of the race.
- Encouraging children to run around in the outside.
- Always keep an eye on your kids, keep them safe from the things can hurt them during their riding ways or others vehicle.
- Do not promote the balance skills required to ride a genuine bike. A balance bike is better for kid to improve this skill.
9. Balance Bikes
Balance Bike is a pedal-less two-wheeled bike that teaches children while young as 18- months to stabilize on two rims. After a short learning period, toddlers and children learn to drive, leap and shore on the bikes without having the help of their father and mother. The other name of balance bike is run bike. It is an exercise bicycle which allows kids learn about stability and steerage.
This bike does not have any pedals, any teaching tires and any prank established and company. It's rather a normal bicycle with pedals, and related parts were taken out. The construction of balance bike is suitable for small children. Although it may not have a break, it could have a couple of hand-activated brakes. Nowadays, balance bikes are more popular.
- Allows children to build up skills for their very own as well as pace.
- Instructs kid's essential controlling, coordination and steerage abilities.
- Promotes kids to go toward relevant bike-riding abilities after they are self-confident enough.
- Come in several prices where many are inexpensive while some will be more costly and designed for experienced users.
- There are some styles and shades exactly like pedaled bikes.
- Some eco-friendly models are available in case you are environmentally conscious.
- Though wooden models appear great, they are inclined to warping and corrosion if not effectively maintained.
- Some model may be more expensive than all their pedaled counterparts.
10. BMX/Trick Bikes
BMX means “Bicycle Motocross.” These single velocity bikes race around a brief dirt track like the motor sport. People often use the word BMX to spell it out virtually any single-speed bicycle using a 20” wheel. The
particular road bikes are very powerful and long lasting. They are the greatest selection for anybody intending to do a jump or perhaps tricks.
Children frequently dig these bikes because of their little size and capability to be utilized carelessly. But that isn’t to state adults, and they can’t get a lot away of a BMX. Producers create this type of bike to go off jump that they come with little wheels, quick short-term pace, and
frivolous to increase your airtime. That is a perfect bike for you.
- Solid as well as bomb proof.
- Simple and easy to ride.
- Skate or bike park using.
- Relatively lightweight.
- Affordable price.
- Generally one particular size.
- No gearing.
- Body position in much longer rides.
11. Recumbent Bikes
Recumbent bikes aren't the normal bikes we find driven along by people at the recreation area. They are workout equipment wherein the consumer is put within a reclining method when seated. Most people who are a health plus figure conscious are love this bike kind very much due to the bike's design. Apart from the conventional style, appropriate syndication of weight is likewise among its greatest features. This sort of products is very famous because of the comfortable seating. In addition, cyclists can certainly pick up its accessories.
These bikes have an extended, low design and a full-sized seat with a backrest. There are 2 styles of recumbent bikes with two wheels and three-wheel. Nevertheless, we have more challenges to pedal up hills and transport from one spot to another in a motor vehicle.
- Quite cozy and supportive for the cyclist's back.
- Their ergonomic style means it is a good deal less stressful on your own body - especially the muscle of your neck, wrists, hands, back, arms and certainly your lower part.
- Good choice for recreational highway and long length travel riding.
- Simpler to re-maneuver and faster by slowing or stopping.
- Better stability as the low center of gravity in a recumbent.
- More expensive than a regular bicycle.
- Heavier than regarding a diamond shape bike.
- Including a heavier seat, even more tubing, and three-way the quantity of chain.
- Less suitable for metropolis riding.
12. Electric or E-Bi
Electric Bikes have many versions with different their usage of electricity. Some e-bikes provide a substitute for coated; others function just like miniaturized motorbikes. Manufacturers design this bike for the purpose of saving your labor and more importantly your time. On the other hand, people can control it easily just by pedaling
as normal, or starting the power mode and moving with a twist grasp throttle.
Battery powered electric, magnetic motors on bikes are the latest thrilling tendency in the globe of bicycling. No sweats, no cardiovascular pounding function, not any pedaling it is your decision, although enjoying the benefits of a bicycle ride. Moreover, you can move along the great smooth, hard-surface roads and bicycle paths with great pleasure
A comparatively new trend in electric bicycles is those sleek and beautiful sit-down designs that even more appear like a moped scooter when compared to a bicycle. They are legal bike and are categorized as the trail guidelines for mountain bikes. No licensing is necessary as long as producers do not remove the pedals. It could be simply the commuter vehicle you are searching for!
- Save time as well as energy.
- Low priced of ownership.
- Electric powered magnetic motor included.
- Low carbon impact.
- Burn calories as well as get fit.
- High upfront costs.
- Protection concerns.
- Requires, even more, effort whenever battery runs out.
13. Tandem Bikes
Tandem bikes are a bit exceptional in the bike world compared with others types of bikes. It is different styles in the cycling world also. The tandem bikes have been built for two persons. It is perfect for the new cyclists, younger cyclists along with the good one. You don’t need any special skill to ride tandem bike. It is a great fun while two people are pedaling at a time. It is perfect for families or couples who have a desire to travel together.
These bikes are fast to ride plus suitable for touring. You can carry four saddle bags. It is very popular for the children who are 4-7 years old travel together with their parents. The attractive seat can be always changeable. It is especially good for the weak cyclist to sit and pedal behind the experienced one. So you can enjoy the amazing feeling while riding a Tandem bike together.
- Affordable price.
- More steady than most types of bikes.
- Strong wheels and frames.
- Suitable for only children travel along with adults.
- Suitable for couples, family tours.
- Long and heavy.
- Not suitable for new cyclists or weak bikers to control this kind of bike.
- Not recommend for riding this kind of bike alone.
Unicycle is an exceptional vehicle that comes with only one wheel. It includes a durable frame along with a saddle. Besides, a pedal-driven straight drive is also included with it. This is an amazing variation for this bike. Unicycle is professionally used in the circus party. You can ride it in the festivals as a hobby. It is also used in the sports just like unicycle hockey. Nowadays, some young people use this bike for mountain biking or even trials.
You can see different types of unicycles in the marketplaces such as Freestyle unicycles, Mountain unicycles, Trials unicycles, Long distance unicycles and Giraffe unicycles. These unicycles are used just like flatland bicycles. The size of its wheel is normally 20" (510 mm), but tiny rides can use 16" or 12". The standard unicycle has no chain. The height range of Giraffe unicycle is 3 feet to 10 feet. If you like to experience the new felling, it is great to try to ride on an unicycle. So unicycle is an amazing and exceptional from other types of bikes.
- Suitable for circus skill performers.
- Affordable price.
- Not too heavy, some small unicycles can be taking along with you into the buses, trains.
- Increase your self- balancing ability.
- Perfect for sports and recreational activities.
- Slower than other types of bikes.
- Doesn’t perfect for transportation.
- For some people, it really hard to ride and control.
The above types of bikes in this article are the most popular types in the market place today. To choose the right bikes for yourself, you should find out the right type for you by understanding the features, pros and cons of each type suitable with your using purpose. In addition, you can consider the price in choosing as some are being offered for sale while others are not. Finally, the location of biking trails around is one of the most important thing you need to consider.
Don’t forget to write a comment in the box below. Your comments are very much crucial for us. If you find this article is useful, please click SHARE.